Saturday, June 19, 2010

Remembering the good times...

Today was a rather uneventful day. We got the kids yesterday and they were with me today while Chris was at work. We went to see one of my good friends in Arlington.

I sat there while we were eating and my mind slipped away to 2001. Even though it was only nine years ago, I remember it like it were yesterday. I remember being younger when my worries were whether or not we were going to stay at Sophia's or my house. I remember having cookouts at Michele's for no other reason other than it was a cool place to chill, relax, and forget about life for a minute.

I remember this boy who appeared to be the world's most worthy however unavailable great guy for Sophia. That boy didn't stay with us long for his duty was to the military and duty called him to Korea. The whole time he was gone, we prayed that God would bring him back to us safe and in one piece. Every time he came home or was back in the states we sighed with relief. We learned to cope with the fact that the military was his life and that we looked up to him for.

Looking back to July 18, 2007, I remember him standing in the delivery room when I was in labor and telling me "Just wait until midnight and Kyleigh and I will have the same birthday." He was just as excited as I was and the baby wasn't even his.

Even we have been apart through the years, he has always been a part of us.

As I sat there thinking about the past I could only hope that the future holds great memories with our best friend, who has always been and always will be "our" Eric.

And then I came back and it was time to say goodbye. Oh parting is such sweet sorrow...

2 comments: